news
bands
tracks
fashion
about
links

Friday, January 4, 2008

Band Feature - D'espairs Ray

Hi

quite some time ago I posted the last band feature here and since then I was pretty busy getting to learn about the blog world and introducing one of my best friends to it in order to boost Visual Kei's output. I'm sure you will hear something from him soon. For now I'd like to continue the series of band presentations with this new band feature about D'espairs Ray.

D'espairs Ray were founded during September 1999 in Tokyo. All members used to play in different bands and met each other in Tokyo's indie jrock scene. Since then the lineup hasn't changed, it's still Hizumi's vocals, Karyu's guitar skills, Zero on bass and Tsukasa hitting the drums.

D'espairs Ray can be considerd one of the fastest uprising and skyrocketing acts in the visual kei and jrock scene. Their first two maxi releases in 2000 already showed the band's potential and before the second single was hitting the shelves it was practically sold out due to preorders.

Starting after their first maxi releases until 2004 they already toured Japan for five times. They performed on several jrock and visual mega events like "Stylish Wave 03 Mega Force Gig" at the Shibuya Kokaido Arena, "Beauti-Fool's Fest 03", "Stylish Wave Count Down Yokohama" and finally the "Final 03 at Takadanobaba AREA".

In the end of October 2004 D'espairs Ray went from conquering the japanese jrock scene to the next essential step in their plan for complete rock world domination. With their Europe Tour "Wollust ward dem Wurm gegeben" (a quote from Schiller by the way) they set foot on the old world and did set it on fire instantly. Following to that came performances at Wacken Festival in 2006 and another Europe Tour with 14 sold out shows.

Besides several multi page features in all of the major jrock and visual kei magazines, D'espairs Ray hitting the stage with acts like The GazettE and Mucc and so many others, Europe Tours, Dvd releases and so on "what can possibly come next?" you might ask. The answer seems easy. They will go on doing what they can do best and enjoy most, making honest, straight forward rock music and explode on stage.

If you get the chance to cross their path while they are touring or playing one of the big festivals close to you, I can only express my bottomless jellyness, but I'm sure I'll be getting my chance to see them on stage too sooner or later.

albums

  • 2005 - Coll:Set
  • 2007 - MIRROR

singles
  • 2000 - Kumo
  • 2001 - Genwaku
  • 2002 - Sexual Beast
  • 2002 - Ori no naka de miru yume
  • 2003 - Maverick
  • 2003 - Gärnet
  • 2004 - Gemini
  • 2006 - Kogoeru Yoru ni Saita Hana
  • 2007 - Squall

videos

D'espairs Ray - Squall


D'espairs Ray - Kogoeru Yoru ni Saita Hana Live


And as always ... if you found some inconsistencies in what I said or any errors, faults or mistakes, please feel free to let me know so I can update this post. I'm not quite sure what band features will be next. Alice Nine or Mucc are interesting options for me personally, but actually I'm more interested to know what YOU like to read about. So in case anyone wants to bring up the name of an interesting band, just tell me. I'll be happy to dig in and collect some infos.

Kindest regards




No comments: